Thursday, March 11, 2010

Healthy but TASTY Blueberry Muffins!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I am a sucker for blueberries. I love them! I wonder if it's because we used to have about 12 bushes... Maybe! I used to make pies like a mad woman. Well, a mad-adolescent, really. Anyway, I put a yummy blueberry muffins candle on top of my stove last week and every time I use the oven it heats up and smells fabuloso! For a while I couldn't figure out what the smell was... but I knew I LOVED it! Ha! Thanks to my dear Hubbs for pointing out the obvious! The candle had half melted on my stove top. Um, duh! So, I have been craving blueberry muffins ever since. However, I'm really trying to stay on track with my eating plan. Not to mention that while I do love to cook I am very short on time these days. So, I picked up a box of Fiber One muffin mix the other day... I made them this morning when E went down for her first nap. They actually are pretty darn good!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I added half of a container of fresh blueberries to the mix... just because I love them so! I also made them with applesauce instead of the 2 tablespoons of oil that it calls or. The directions for the healthier version are available on the side of the box.

The best part? These tasty muffins are a decent size and when made as the healthier version, they're only 2 points! They are 140 calories apiece with 2.5g total fat and 5g dietary fiber! Score!!! If they are made with the oil then they are 160 calories and 3 points apiece. Their point value/caloric value makes them a perfect snack for anytime of the day. Since the box makes 12 these would be easy to make at the beginning of one week and freeze for the next week!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I do suggest having I Can't Believe Its Not Butter spray on hand as they aren't oozing with oil... ;) I enjoyed mine this morning with my scrambled egg whites & cheddar and a small glass of fat free milk!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Okay...I am SO going to the store tonight to buy some of this mix!! Eric and I LOVE blueberries and at 2 points each...I am SOLD!! Thanks for posting this honey :-)

Jen S. said...

Thanks to you, I am totally craving blueberry muffins right now :) So I am definitely going to make some! I LOVE sweet smelling candles too, so of course now I want a blueberry candle :)
Have a great weekend!
PS--thanks for the info. about the applesauce instead of oil....great idea!